Jaime Casanova wrote:
On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 8:42 PM, Darren Duncan <dar...@darrenduncan.net> wrote:
First of all, what if "cast(timestamp as int)" was already defined?  Which
cast then would you expect to be invoked here?

 '1800-01-01 00:00:00'::int

i will expect an error in that case... what you're doing there is
casting an "unknown" to integer, for that to be valid you need an
intermediate cast to timestamp or in my case to datetime

Sorry, my bad; I meant to say (might be slightly misspelled):

  ('1800-01-01 00:00:00'::timestamp)::int

Now, since all values of a DOMAIN are also values of the base type the DOMAIN is defined as being a subset of, then the sub-expression within the parenthesis denotes a value that is both a timestamp and a datetime at the same time.

So, if a generic "CAST(timestamp as int)" is already defined, and you define a "CAST(datetime as int)", then what should the above code (correct for misspelling) do, or should it fail?

-- Darren Duncan