Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Monday 10 June 2002 04:11 pm, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I think our develop mode/beta mode pattern has done a great deal to
> > contribute to the stability of our releases.  If we go over to the same
> > approach that everyone else uses, you can bet your last dollar that our
> > releases will be no better than everyone else's.
>
> I'll have to agree here -- but I also must remind people that our 'dot zero'
> releases are typically solid, but our 'dot one'  releases have not been so
> solid.  So I wouldn't be too confident in our existing model.

    If  that's  a  pattern, then we should discourage people from
    using odd dot-releases.

    My opinion? With each release we ship  improvements  and  new
    functionality  people  have  long  waited  for.  Think  about
    vacuum,  toast,  referential  integrity.  People  need  those
    things  and  have  great  confidence  in  our  releases.  The
    willingness to upgrade their production systems to  dot  zero
    releases is the biggest compliment users can make.

    Everything  that  endangers  that  quality  is  bad(tm).  Our
    develop/beta mode pattern keeps people from diving  into  the
    next  bigger thing, distracting them from the current beta or
    release candidate. I don't think that would do  us  a  really
    good job.

Jan