Michael Meskes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there were several people at my talk asking if PostgreSQL is available
> on Novell Netware. I know I read about someone working on this, but
> didn't follow the thread at all since I do not have any Netware servers.

Attached is an email message from someone who is working on it.  This is
the first I have heard of a Netware port.

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 16:19:21 +0200
From: "Ulrich Neumann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [HACKERS] Native Win32/OS2/BeOS/NetWare ports
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hello together

i've seen a lot of discussion about a native win32/OS2/BEOS port of
PostgreSQL.

During the last months i've ported PostgreSQL over to Novell NetWare
and i've
changed the code that I use pthreads instead of fork() now.

I had a lot of work with the variables and cleanup but mayor parts are
done.

I would appreciate if we could combine this work.

My plan was to finish this port, discuss the port with other people and
offer all the work
to the PostgreSQL source tree, but now i'm jumping in here because of
all the discussions.

What i've done in detail:
- i've defined #USE_PTHREADS in pg_config.h to differentiate between
the forked and the
threaded backend.
- I've added several parts in postmaster.c so all functions are based
on pthreads now.
- I've changed the signal handling because signals are process based
- I've changed code in ipc.c to have a clean shutdown of threads
- I've written some functions to switch the global variables. The
globals are controled with
POSIX semaphores.
- I've written a new implementation of shared memory and semaphores-
With pthreads I don't
need real shared memory any more and i'm using POSIX semaphores now
- Several minor changes.

There is still some more work to do like fixing memory leaks or
handling bad situations, but in general it's
functional on NetWare.

BTW: Is it possible to add some lines on the PostgreSQL webpage that
there is a first beta of
PostgreSQL for NetWare available and to offer a binary download for the
NetWare version?

Ulrich Neumann