Hi,

There are some releases that autovacuum was enabled by default and, up to now there is an easy way to estimate the number of autovacuum workers. I tune it observing if the number of slots are saturated for a period of time. I'm having a hard time trying to do this. I want to add a LOG message such as

LOG: maximum number of autovacuum workers reached
HINT: Consider increasing autovacuum_max_workers (currently 5).

And also a view (say pg_stat_autovacuum) to expose some autovacuum information such as (i) number of autovacuum workers (ii) number of tables that needs analyze/vacuum and are scheduled to (iii) number of autovacuum count (iv) number of autoanalyze count. While I am in this topic, it would be nice to expose the analyze/vacuum count and threshold per table. This information should go to pg_stat_*_tables but it already has too much fields. Maybe it is time to split autovacuum information into another statistic view?

Comments?

--
  Euler Taveira de Oliveira - Timbira       http://www.timbira.com.br/