On Jun 13, 2011, at 10:22 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
>> A synonym feature would definitely be useful for cases like this. We have a
>> poorly named database at work; it's been that way for years and the only
>> reason it's never been cleaned up is because it would require simultaneously
>> changing config settings in dozens of places on hundreds of machines (many
>> of which are user machines, which makes performing the change very
>> difficult). As annoying as dealing with the oddball name is (there's a
>> number of pieces of code that have to special case it), it would be even
>> more painful to fix the problem. If we had database name synonyms we could
>> create a synonym and migrate everything over time... and in the meantime,
>> code could stop special-casing it.
>
> That's probably the best explanation of why synonyms would be useful I
> believe I've yet heard.

FWIW, I've asked Command Prompt to look into creating database name synonyms
for us, but perhaps there are other synonyms that would make sense? I can't
really think of any other cases where you care about name and don't have a way
to work around it (ie: column and tables can be done with views; you can grant
a role to another role; you can create a wrapper function).
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   j...@nasby.net