On 6/19/2011 11:04 AM, Jeff Shanab wrote:
I am wondering If I am missing something obvious. If not, I have a suggestion
for plpgsql.

Stored procedures can accept rows.

Libpq can receive rows (PQResult).

Wouldn’t it be a great interface if PQResult was “bi-directional”? Create a
result set on the client then call the database with a command.

Perhaps…

PQinsert(PQResult,”schema.table”); //iterate thru rows inserting

PQupdate(PQResult,”schema.table”); //iterate thru rows updateing

PQexec(connection,”scheme.function”,PQResult) //iterate thru rows passing row as
arg to stored procedure.

Have you looked into libpqtypes? It allows you to pack nested structures/arrays and pass them as query/function parameters.

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/libpqtypes/
http://libpqtypes.esilo.com/ (docs)

--
Andrew Chernow