Wasn't it you who defined *stable* as
  Cachable within a single command: given fixed input values, the
  result will not change if the function were to be repeatedly evaluated
  within a single SQL command; but the result could change over time.
?

> And I'm even less sure whether you are arguing for or
> against adding SetQuerySnapshot calls into plpgsql...

I already mentioned an opinion in 2001/09/08.
  Both the command counters and the snapshots in a
  function should advance except the leading SELECT
  statements.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue