> Considering everything that has been discussed on this thread so far.
>
> Do you still think your patch is the best way to accomplish base backups
> from standby servers?
> If not what changes do you think should be made?

I reconsider the way to not use pg_stop_backup().

Process of online base backup on standby server:
 1. pg_start_backup('x');
 2. copy the data directory
 3. copy *pg_control*

Behavior while restore:
 * read "Minimum recovery ending location" of the copied pg_control.
 * use the value with the same purposes as the end-of-backup location.
   -> When the value is equal to 0/0, this behavior do not do.
      This situation is to acquire backup from master server.

Jun Ishizuka
NTT Software Corporation
TEL:045-317-7018
E-Mail: ishizuka....@po.ntts.co.jp