On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 07:59:12 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
On 5/07/2011 9:05 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 15:02, Robert Haas<robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Radosław Smogura
<rsmog...@softperience.eu>  wrote:
I asked about crash reports becaus of at this time there was thread about
crashing in live system.

Yeah, I thought this was the result of that effort:

[snip]

That crash dump is basically the windows equivalent of a coredump,
though. Just a different name...

Yup, it's a cut-down core dump. In this case generated in-process by
the crashing backend.

It'd be nice to be able to generate the crash dump from
out-of-process. Unfortunately, the automatic crash dump generation
system on Windows doesn't appear to be available to system services
running non-interactively. Not that I could see, anyway. As a result
we had to trap the crashes within the crashing process and generate
the dump from there. As previously stated, doing anything within a
segfaulting process is unreliable, so it's not the best approach in
the world.

All I was saying in this thread is that it'd be nice to have a way
for a crashing backend to request that another process capture
diagnostic information from it before it exits with a fault, so it
doesn't have to try to dump its self.

As Tom said, though, anything like that is more likely to decrease
the reliability of the overall system. You don't want a dead backend
hanging around forever waiting for the postmaster to act on it, and
you *really* don't want other backends still alive and potentially
writing from shm that's in in who-knows-what state while the
postmaster is busy fiddling with a crashed backend.

So, overall, I think "dump a simple core and die as quickly as
possible" is the best option. That's how it already works on UNIX, and
all the win32 crash dump patches do is make it work on Windows too.

--
Craig Ringer

POST Newspapers
276 Onslow Rd, Shenton Park
Ph: 08 9381 3088     Fax: 08 9388 2258
ABN: 50 008 917 717
http://www.postnewspapers.com.au/

Personally I will not send core dump to anyone, core dump may not only contain sensible information from postmaster, but from other application too. Btw, I just take core dump form postmaster, I found there some dns addresses I connected before from bash. Postamster should not see it.

I think IPC for fast shout down all backends and wait for report processing is quite enaugh.

Regards,
Radosław Smogura