On 07/12/2011 11:56 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
Thom,

The functions to produce UUIDs are in contrib, but the UUID data type
itself is in core.  You get the type uuid whether you install the
contrib module or not.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/datatype-uuid.html

Oh!

I guess that shows you how much I use the type then.

Well, in that case, this whole discussion is moot unless someone is
offering to write us a UUID generator from scratch.   Is someone doing so?

I am reaching back into my mental archives for when we first decided to implement a UUID datatype. As I recall we purposely did not include the generators in core because every language already has their own generators, popular languages anyway.

I think we should just leave it as be, note to use your native language generator OR use the contributed modules.

JD

@cmdpromptinc - @postgresconf - 509-416-6579