On Jul 27, 2011, at 1:08 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Yeah.  If we're going to allow this then we should just have a concept
> of a non-inherited constraint, full stop.  This might just be a matter
> of removing the error thrown in ATAddCheckConstraint, but I'd be worried
> about whether pg_dump will handle the case correctly, what happens when
> a new child is added later, etc etc.

Is this looking at the wrong problem? The reason I've wanted to get a parent
check constraint not to fire in a child is because I'm using the parent/child
relationship for partioning. Will this be relevant if/when an independent
partitioning feature is added that does not rely on table inheritance?

Best,

David