On 07.07.2011 18:43, Kevin Grittner wrote:
Heikki Linnakangas<heikki.linnakan...@enterprisedb.com>  wrote:
On 05.07.2011 20:06, Kevin Grittner wrote:

There's two expected output files for this, one for
max_prepared_xacts=0 and another for the "normal" case. The
max_prepared_xacts=0 case isn't very interesting, since all the
PREPARE TRANSACTION commands fail. I think we should adjust the
test harness to not run these tests at all if
max_prepared_xacts=0. It would be better to skip the test and
print out a notice pointing out that it was not run, it'll just
give a false sense of security to run the test and report success,
when it didn't test anything useful.

That alone cuts the size of the expected output to about 1 MB.

OK.  I'll work on this tonight unless Dan jumps in to claim it.

Committed. I removed the second expected output file, and marked the prepared-transactions tests in the schedule as "ignore" instead. That way if max_prepared_transactions=0, you get a notice that the test case failed, but pg_regress still returns 0 as exit status.

That's much better, although it's still a lot of weight just for
expected output. However, it compresses extremely well, to about
16 KB, so this isn't an issue for the size of distribution
tarballs and such, only for git checkouts and on-disk size of
extracted tarballs. I think that would be acceptable, although we
could easily cut it a bit further if we want to. For example
leaving out the word "step" from all the lines of executed test
steps would cut it by about 80 KB.

That seems simple enough.  Any other ideas?

I think it's good enough as it is. I did change the lexer slightly, to trim whitespace from the beginning and end of SQL blocks. This cuts the size of expected output a bit, and makes it look nicer anyway.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas