Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> writes:
> I think the real trick is figuring out a design that can improve
> concurrency.

I'm far from familiar with the detailed concepts here, but allow me to
comment.  I have two open questions:

 - is it possible to use a distributed algorithm to produce XIDs,
   something like Vector Clocks?

   Then each backend is able to create a snapshot (well, and XID) on its
   own, and any backend is still able to compare its snapshot to any
   other snapshot (well, XID)

 - is it possible to cache the production of the next snapshots so that
   generating an XID only means getting the next in a pre-computed
   vector?

   My guess by reading the emails here is that we need to add some
   information at snapshot generation time, it's not just about getting
   a 32 bit sequence number.

I'm not sure I'm being that helpful here, but sometime stating the
obviously impossible ideas allows to think about some new design, so I
figured I would still try :)

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine