On Sep28, 2011, at 00:19 , Marti Raudsepp wrote:
> (I'm still not sure what "adt" means)

I always assumed it stood for "abstract data type". Most of the files in this
directory seem to correspond to an SQL-level data type like intX, varchar,
tsquery, ..., and contain the I/O functions for that type, plus some supporting
operations and functions.

Over time, it seems that this directory was also used for SQL-level functions
not directly related to a single type, like windowfuncs.c and pgstatfuncs.c.
The fact that ri_triggers.c lives there also might be a relict from times where
you'd create FK constraint with CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER and specified one of
the functions from ri_triggers.c as the procedure to execute.

best regards,
Florian Pflug