On 11/06/2011 06:00 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Peter Geoghegan<pe...@2ndquadrant.com>  writes:

>  A major consideration was backwards compatibility;
This is not a consideration that the community is likely to weigh
heavily, or indeed at all.  We aren't going to back-port this feature
into prior release branches, and we aren't going to want to contort its
definition to make that easier.

Being able to ship a better pg_stat_statements that can run against earlier versions as an extension has significant value to the community. Needing to parse log files to do statement profiling is a major advocacy issue for PostgreSQL. If we can get something useful that's possible to test as an extension earlier than the 9.2 release--and make it available to more people running older versions too--that has some real value to users, and for early production testing of what will go into 9.2.

The point where this crosses over to requiring server-side code to operate at all is obviously a deal breaker on that idea. So far that line hasn't been crossed, and we're trying to stage testing against older versions on real-world queries. As long as it's possible to keep that goal without making the code more difficult to deal with, I wouldn't dismiss that as a useless distinction.