Martijn van Oosterhout <klep...@svana.org> writes:
> While I agree that explicit partitioning is somewhat of a hack, it's a
> really useful hack.  But for me the most important use of partitioning
> is "dropping a billion rows efficiently and getting the disk space
> back".

Right.  The only way to make that speedy is for the partition boundaries
to match the desired granularity of data removal.  I don't really see
any way that the database can be expected to know what that is, unless
it's told in advance.  So AFAICS you really have to have a declarative
way of telling it how to do the partitioning --- it's not going to be
able to infer that automatically.