On 12/11/2011 07:36, Robert Haas wrote:
On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 12:48 AM, Tom Lane<t...@sss.pgh.pa.us>  wrote:
AIUI Kyotaro-san is just suggesting that the app should be able to
provide a substitute malloc function for use in allocating PGresult
space (and not, I think, anything else that libpq allocates internally).
Basically this would allow PGresults to be cleaned up with methods other
than calling PQclear on each one.  It wouldn't affect how you'd interact
with one while you had it.  That seems like pretty much exactly what we
want for preventing memory leaks in the backend; but is it going to be
useful for other apps?

I think it will.

Maybe I've just talking nonsense, I just have little experience hacking the pgsql and pdo-pgsql exstensions, but to me it would seem something that could easily avoid an extra duplication of the data returned by pqgetvalue. To me it seems a pretty nice win.

Cheers
--
Matteo Beccati

Development & Consulting - http://www.beccati.com/