On 01/01/2012 04:05 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

On 12/31/2011 04:26 PM, Aidan Van Dyk wrote:
On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 3:17 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvhe...@commandprompt.com>  wrote:
Excerpts from Andrew Dunstan's message of sáb dic 31 12:52:02 -0300 2011:
It's not a big thing, but I just found myself in a shared environment
wanting to be able to set alternative locations for the psql startup
file and history. I know there's the HISTFILE variable, but I can't
easily set that automatically unless I can at least have my own .psqlrc.
ISTM it should be a fairly simple thing to provide these, via
environment variables. Is there general interest in such a thing?
I wanted such a thing mere two weeks ago ...
Generally when I've wanted these things, I just make a new "$HOME" in
my shared user home dir:

export HOME=$HOME/aidan

It's worked for things I've wanted, I haven't tried it for psql stuff....

Yeah, but it's a bit hacky. I might well not want $HOME reset. Here's a small patch that does what I think would suit me and Alvaro.

Incidentally, this actually doesn't work anyway. psql gets the home path from getpwuid() and ignores $HOME. You could argue that that's a bug, but it's been that way for a long time.

cheers

andrew