On Jan 15, 2012, at 8:13 PM, Greg Smith wrote:
> On 01/15/2012 04:17 PM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> I think it makes more sense to use the max read rate as the main knob,
>> rather than write rate. That's because the max read rate is higher than the
>> write rate, when you don't need to dirty pages. Or do you think saturating
>> the I/O system with writes is so much bigger a problem than read I/O that it
>> makes more sense to emphasize the writes?
>
> I haven't had the I/O rate logging available for long enough to have a good
> feel for which is more important to emphasize.  I'm agnostic on this.  I'd
> have no problem accepting the argument that exposing the larger of the two
> rates--which is the read one--makes for a cleaner UI.  Or that it is the one
> more like other knobs setting precedents here.

Could we expose both?

On our systems writes are extremely cheap... we don't do a ton of them
(relatively speaking), so they tend to just fit into BBU cache. Reads on the
other hard are a lot more expensive, at least if they end up actually hitting
disk. So we actually set page_dirty and page_hit the same.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   j...@nasby.net