Peter Eisentraut <pete...@gmx.net> writes:
> On mån, 2012-01-16 at 22:59 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> So who's going to work on a patch?  Peter, are you?  If not, we should
>> add it to the TODO list.

> Not at this very moment, but maybe in a few weeks.

BTW, it strikes me that maybe the coding should work about like this:

        if (!TransactionIdIsValid(age_reference_xid))
        {
                age_reference_xid = GetTopTransactionIdIfAny();
                if (!TransactionIdIsValid(age_reference_xid))
                        age_reference_xid = ReadNewTransactionId();
        }
        ... use age_reference_xid to compute result ...

and of course code somewhere to reset age_reference_xid at end of xact.

The advantage of this is

(1) same code works on master and standby

(2) calling age() no longer requires an otherwise read-only transaction
to acquire an XID.