On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Jim Nasby <j...@nasby.net> wrote:
> We should also look at having the freelist do something useful, instead of
> just dropping it completely. Unfortunately that's probably more work...

That's kinda my feeling as well.  The free list in its current form is
pretty much useless, but I don't think we'll save much by getting rid
of it, because that's just a single test.  The expensive part of what
we do while holding BufFreelistLock is, I think, iterating through
buffers taking and releasing a spinlock on each one (!).  So I guess
my vote would be to leave it alone pending further study, and maybe
remove it later if we can't find a way to rejigger it to be more
useful.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company