On 02/07/2012 12:09 AM, Dan Scales wrote:
So, yes, good point -- double writes cannot replace the functionality of
full_page_writes for base backup.  If double writes were in use, they might be
automatically switched over to full page writes for the duration of the base
backup.  And the double write file should not be part of the base backup.

There is already a check for this sort of problem during the base backup. It forces full_pages_writes on for the backup, even if the running configuration has it off. So long as double writes can be smoothly turned off and back on again, that same section of code can easily be made to handle that, too.

As far as not making the double write file part of the base backup, I was assuming that would go into a subdirectory under pg_xlog by default. I would think that people who relocate pg_xlog using one of the methods for doing that would want the double write buffer to move as well. And if it's inside pg_xlog, existing base backup scripts won't need to be changed--the correct ones already exclude pg_xlog files.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    g...@2ndquadrant.com   Baltimore, MD