On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 12:14:03PM -0800, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On Feb 21, 2012, at 12:11 PM, Michael Glaesemann wrote:
>
> > And hashtext *has* changed across versions, which is why Peter Eisentraut
> > published a version-independent hash function library:
> > https://github.com/petere/pgvihash
>
> Yes, Marko wrote one, too:
>
>   https://github.com/markokr/pghashlib
>
> But as I’m about to build a system that is going to have many billions of
> nodes, I could use a variant that returns a bigint. Anyone got a pointer to
> something like that?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

Hi David,

The existing hash_any() function can return a 64-bit hash, instead of the
current
32-bit hash, by returning the b and c values, instead of the current which just
returns the c value, per the comment at the start of the function. It sounded
like
Peter had already done this in his pg_stat_statements normalization patch, but I
could not find it.

Regards,
Ken