On 02/22/2012 01:36 PM, Thom Brown wrote:
On 22 February 2012 18:34, Kevin Grittner<kevin.gritt...@wicourts.gov>  wrote:
Thom Brown<t...@linux.com>  wrote:
Does this help?

test=# SELECT pg_typeof('4834.34'::numeric)::oid;
  pg_typeof
-----------
       1700
(1 row)
Wouldn't it be easier to do this instead?

test=# SELECT 'numeric'::regtype::oid;
  oid
------
  1700
(1 row)
Well I may have misread the problem. I thought it was that for a
particular data value, the oid of the type of that value was needed.

Maybe I need to be more clear. The C code I'm writing will process composites. I want to cache the Oids of certain non-builtin types in the function info's fn_extra, and then be able to test whether or not the fields in the composites are of those types.

cheers

andrew