Larry Rosenman <l...@lerctr.org> writes:
>> Also, this isn't limited to CLUSTER; anything that rewrites the
>> table and indexes would benefit.  Meaning ALTER TABLE that does a
>> full rewrite, and also VACUUM FULL.

> +1.  I think we should update ps_status as well as pg_stat_activity as
> all of these table rewrite processes are running.

-1.  Updating ps_status is expensive, seriously so on some platforms.
We could likely get away with tracking progress in pg_stat_activity
though.

However, this just reminds me that tracking intrastatement progress in
pg_stat_activity has been discussed before and not much has happened.
Let's please not have a quick kluge that just addresses CLUSTER and not
any of the other aspects of that problem.