On 03/09/2012 01:40 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 12:02 PM, David E. Wheeler<da...@justatheory.com>  wrote:
On Mar 9, 2012, at 7:55 AM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
100% agree  (having re-read the thread and Alvaro's idea having sunk
in).  Being able to set up daemon processes side by side with the
postmaster would fit the bill nicely.  It's pretty interesting to
think of all the places you could go with it.
pgAgent could use it *right now*. I keep forgetting to restart it after
restarting PostgreSQL and finding after a day or so that no jobs have run.
That can and should be fixed by teaching pgAgent that failing to
connect to the server, or getting disconnected, is not a fatal error,
but a reason to sleep and retry.

Yeah. It's still not entirely clear to me what a postmaster-controlled daemon is going to be able to do that an external daemon can't.

cheers

andrew