On 2012-03-18 15:25, Tom Lane wrote:
Jeff Janes<jeff.ja...@gmail.com>  writes:
On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Robert Haas<robertmh...@gmail.com>  wrote:
The problem there is that none of the files can be deleted until it
was entirely read, so you end up with all the data on disk twice.  I
don't know how often people run their databases so close to the edge
on disk space that this matters, but someone felt that that extra
storage was worth avoiding.

Yeah, that was me, and it came out of actual user complaints ten or more
years back.  (It's actually not 2X growth but more like 4X growth
according to the comments in logtape.c, though I no longer remember the
exact reasons why.)  We knew when we put in the logtape logic that we
were trading off speed for space, and we accepted that.

How about a runtime check of disk-free?
--
Jeremy