On 03/26/2012 01:34 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan<and...@dunslane.net>  writes:
Is it possible this job is inserting and then updating (or deleteing)
the row it just inserted and doing a large number of such
insert/update operations all within the same transaction? Or perhaps
it's updating the same row over and over again?
It's all in a single transaction. In fact the solution I'm currently
testing and seems to be working involves breaking it up into batches of
a few thousand LOs restored per batch.
Hm.  The test case is just a straight pg_restore of lots and lots of LOs?
What pg_dump version was the dump made with?

8.4.8, same as the target. We get the same issue whether we restore direct to the database from pg_restore or via a text dump.

cheers

andrew