On 04/04/2012 03:09 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
I wrote:
The idea I had in mind was to compensate for adding list-removal logic
by getting rid of the concept of an unused entry.  If the removal is
conditional then you can't do that and you end up with the complications
of both methods.  Anyway I've not tried to code it yet.
I concluded this would probably be a loser performance-wise, because it
would add a couple of palloc/pfree cycles to the processing of each
multi-chunk message, whether there was any contention or not.  So I
committed the patch with just some cosmetic cleanups.

OK, thanks for doing this.

cheers

andrew