On 05/04/12 08:02, Boszormenyi Zoltan wrote:
I think this patch is doing two things: first touching infrastructure
stuff and then adding lock_timeout on top of that.  Would it work to
split the patch in two pieces?

Sure. Attached is the split version.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi

Hi,

I've started looking at and testing both patches.

Technically speaking, I think the source looks much better than the
first version of lock timeout, and may help adding other timeouts in the
future.

Thanks.

  I haven't tested it in depth though, because I encountered the
following problem:

While testing the patch, I found a way to crash PG. But what's weird is
that it crashes also with an unpatched git version.

Here is the way to reproduce it (I have done it with a pgbench schema):

- Set a small statement_timeout (just to save time during the tests)

Session1:
=#BEGIN;
=#lock TABLE pgbench_accounts ;

Session 2:
=#BEGIN;
=#lock TABLE pgbench_accounts ;
ERROR:  canceling statement due to statement timeout
=# lock TABLE pgbench_accounts ;

I'm using \set ON_ERROR_ROLLBACK INTERACTIVE by the way. It can also be
done with a rollback to savepoint of course.

Session 2 crashes with this : TRAP : FailedAssertion(«
749).

It can also be done without a statement_timeout, and a control-C on the
second lock table.

Indeed, the unpatched GIT version crashes if you enter
  =#lock TABLE pgbench_accounts ;
the second time in session 2 after the first one failed. Also,
manually spelling it out:

Session 1:

$ psql
psql (9.2devel)
Type "help" for help.

zozo=# begin;
BEGIN
zozo=# lock table pgbench_accounts;
LOCK TABLE
zozo=#

Session 2:

zozo=# begin;
BEGIN
zozo=# savepoint a;
SAVEPOINT
zozo=# lock table pgbench_accounts;
ERROR:  canceling statement due to statement timeout
zozo=# rollback to a;
ROLLBACK
zozo=# savepoint b;
SAVEPOINT
zozo=# lock table pgbench_accounts;
!>

Server log after the second lock table:

TRAP: FailedAssertion("!(locallock->holdsStrongLockCount == 0)", File:
"lock.c", Line: 749)
LOG:  server process (PID 12978) was terminated by signal 6: Aborted

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi

I didn't touch anything but this. It occurs everytime, when asserts are
activated.

I tried it on 9.1.3, and I couldn't make it crash with the same sequence
of events. So maybe it's something introduced since ? Or is the assert
still valid ?

Cheers

--
Zoltán Böszörményi