On 24.05.2012 18:16, Robert Haas wrote:
On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Joachim Wieland<j...@mcknight.de>  wrote:
I wouldn't have assumed any corruption was possible given that I did
clean shutdowns on both sides...

The thing that's worrying me is that there's not really any such thing
as a "clean" shutdown on a standby.  When you shut down the master, it
checkpoints.  When you shut down the standby, it can't checkpoint, so
I think it's still going to enter recovery at startup.  It'd be
interesting to know where that recovery began and ended as compared
with the minimum recovery point just before the shutdown.

Perhaps we should introduce the concept of a clean standby shutdown. We can't write a checkpoint record, but we could write the same information somewhere else. Like in the control file. At startup, we'd see that we did a clean shutdown at WAL point X/X, and start up without having to read through all the WAL from the last master checkpoint.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas