On 14.06.2012 18:01, Robert Haas wrote:
What I'm really looking for at this stage of the game is feedback on
the design decisions I made.  The intention here is that it should be
possible to read old-format heaps and indexes transparently, but that
when we create or rewrite a relation, we add a new-style metapage.

That dodges the problem of pg_upgrade, but eventually, we will want to use the metapage for something important, and it can't be optional at that point anymore. So we will eventually need to deal with pg_upgrade somehow.

I put the new metapage code in src/backend/access/common/metapage.c,
but I don't have a lot of confidence that that's the appropriate
location for it.  Suggestions are appreciated.

That seems good to me.

It would be nice to have the oid of the access method in the metapage (or some other way to identify it).

--
  Heikki Linnakangas