On 12-06-18 11:50 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
Hi Simon,

I think we need to agree on the parameter name. It currently is
'multimaster_node_id'. In the discussion with Steve we got to
"replication_node_id". I don't particularly like either.

Other suggestions?

Other things that come to mind (for naming this parameter in the postgresql.conf)

node_id
origin_node_id
local_node_id
I wished we had some flag bits available before as well. I find 256 nodes a
pretty low value to start with though, 4096 sounds better though, so I would
be happy with 4 flag bits. I think for cascading setups and such you want to
add node ids for every node, not only masters...

Any opinions from others on this?

256 sounds a bit low to me as well. Sometimes the use case of a retail chain comes up where people want each store to have a postgresql instance and replicate back to a central office. I can think of many chains with more than 256 stores.

Thanks,

Andres