On 06/20/2012 12:18 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
David Fetter<da...@fetter.org>  writes:
OK, new proposal:
COPY FROM (Thanks, Andrew!  Must not post while asleep...) should have
an option which requires that HEADER be enabled and mandates that the
column names in the header match the columns coming in.
Has someone got a better name for this option than
KEEP_HEADER_COLUMN_NAMES?
Well, if it's just checking that the list matches, then maybe
CHECK_HEADER would do.

In your original proposal, I was rather wondering what should happen if
the incoming file didn't have the same set of columns called out in the
COPY command's column list.  (That is, while *rearranging* the columns
might be thought non-astonishing, I'm less convinced about a copy
operation that inserts or defaults columns differently from what the
command said should happen.)  If we're just checking for a match, that
question goes away.

In the past people have asked me to have copy use the CSV header line in place of supplying a column list in the COPY command. I can certainly see some utility in that, and I think it might achieve what David wants. Using that scenario it would be an error to supply an explicit column list and also use the header line. But then I don't think CHECK_HEADER would be the right name for the option. In any case, specifying a name before we settle on an exact behaviour seems wrong :-)

cheers

andrew