Amit kapila <amit.kap...@huawei.com> writes:
>>> I think it should be removed with proc_exit hook just like the main
>>> postmaster.pid file.

>> external_pid_file is created first time when it is enabled in postgresql.conf
>> I think it should be removed once the parameter external_pid_file is unset;

> Unset?
By Unset, I mean to say when the configuration parameter 'external_pid_file' is
disabled (#external_pid_file).
But if the path/filename is changed to different name across restart of server,
it will not be able to delete the previous file.
So it will not workout the way I was trying to think.

However if it is deleted at proc_exit as suggested by Peter, there will be no
problem.

The reason why I have thought the file not to get deleted at every proc_exit,
is
a. Initially I thought it might be un-necessary to delete and re-create the
file at server shutdown and start.
b. I was not sure if this file has usage only till server is running.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.