On 8/10/12 7:48 PM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:

Another thing worth considering is to have pg_upgrade init, stop and
start clusters as necessary instead of requesting the user to do it.
I think this is two less steps.

Then you'd need to expose the entire pg_ctl shutdown mode logic through
pg_upgrade, which might not make things simpler.

What about having single user mode talk fe/be protocol, and talk to it via a
UNIX pipe, with pg_upgrade starting the single user backend as a subprocess?

I think that's essentially equivalent to starting the server on a Unix-domain socket in a private directory. But that has been rejected because it doesn't work on Windows.

The question in my mind is, is there some other usable way on Windows for two unrelated processes to communicate over file descriptors in a private and secure way?