On 08/20/2012 05:12 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

On 08/20/2012 07:08 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

Moreover, as Josh just mentioned, anybody who
thinks it might be insufficiently secure for their purposes has got
plenty of alternatives available today (SSL certificates, PAM backed
by whatever-you-want, etc).

Yeah, I think we need to emphasize this lots more. Anyone who wants
really secure authentication needs to be getting away from password
based auth altogether. Another hash function will make very little
difference.

Actually, I concede here. If we were pushing our other abilities more visibly, I don't know that this argument would ever come up.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

cheers

andrew

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC
@cmdpromptinc - 509-416-6579