On 09/27/12 8:41 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
But I think I see what Tom objection to it is: if we "export" this
capability to libpq applications, then we set it in stone to a certain
extent: exactly how things are split would become part of the API, so to
speak.  Upgrading to a newer libpq could break application code that
worked with the previous release's by splitting things differently.

I don't currently have an opinion on whether this is a bad thing or not.
Who wants to argue for/against?

I wonder if it shouldn't be in a separate 'helper' library, as it has no direct ties to any libpq internals.