On 08.10.2012 10:03, Simon Riggs wrote:
On 6 October 2012 22:40, Tom Lane<t...@sss.pgh.pa.us>  wrote:

Thus for example "MSK" apparently now means GMT+4 not GMT+3.  We can
change the tznames entry for that, but should we get rid of "MSD"
entirely?  Some input from the Russians on this list would be helpful.
Comments?

It shouldn't be our job to make decisions like this on behalf of the world.

I wish it wasn't, too. But I don't think there's any "upstream" for this information. The tz library has abbreviations for timezones, but they're not unique.

* Make the tz file configurable, so people can be more explicit about
what *they* mean by certain codes, to avoid the need for choosing
between countries. For example, someone may have hardcoded particular
codes with the understanding they relate to one particular TZ - if we
make changes, we will alter the application logic, so that must be
able to be "put back" for backwards compatibility.

It is configurable. See http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/datetime-config-files.html. We're just discussing what the defaults should be.

- Heikki