On 10.10.2012, at 20:26, Tom Lane wrote:

> Daniel Frey <d.f...@gmx.de> writes:
>>  INSERT INTO dummy VALUES ( '0X1P-1022' );
>
>> this value itself is the problem. If I use pg_dump / pg_restore, the restore
>> fails with:
>
>>  COPY failed for table "dummy": ERROR:  "2.22507385850720138e-308" is out of
>> range for type double precision
>
>> This behavior might depend on the system's implementation of strtod(), I'm
>> using Ubuntu 12.04.
>
> That is definitely a bug in strtod, which you should report.  If it
> doesn't accept a value that sprintf output, something is broken at the
> libc level.

Who guarantees that? While I would have hoped for strtod() to accept everything
generated from sprintf() from a valid float/double, I don't see anyone giving
you this guarantee. I'd be happy to be wrong about this, but until then, I
think that pg_dump/pg_restore can not be guaranteed to work, right?

Regards, Daniel