On 10/17/2012 02:48 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:

Would you or someone else be able to come up with some words of
caution for us to put in the manual that would be helpful to
developers?

There isn't even a list of caveats for rules.

I think we need the inverse. Some documentation on why to use rules and this basically boils down to the problem. Can anyone tell me a reason to use explicit rules over a trigger and function combination?

And that is the crux of the issue. If we can't identify a reason the feature currently exists and we have a suitable and better replacement, the feature should be deprecated and removed.

My suggestion for docs is:

Note: Do not use, use Triggers with Functions instead <link>

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC
@cmdpromptinc - 509-416-6579