On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Josh Berkus <j...@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On 10/29/12 6:40 AM, Chris Corbyn wrote:
>> What's the use case of this? It sounds like it will just create a
>> maintenance nightmare where some stuff you expect to lookup in in
>> postgresql.conf is actually hiding in the .auto file. Assuming only super
>> users/sysadmins would have the ability to change things in the config file,
>> wouldn't they be more likely to just do it on the server and edit the .conf
>> (which among other things, keeps it tidy and orderly).
>
> The use is the ability to manage dozens, or hundreds, of PostgreSQL
> servers via Port 5432.  It would also make writing an auto-configurator
> easier.
>
> I agree that there's not much benefit if you're only managing a single
> PostgreSQL server.  There's a lot of benefit for those of us who have to
> manage a lot of them though.

I rather think that the fact that postgresql.conf has supported an
"include directive" since at least as far back as 8.2 (likely further;
I'll not bother spelunking further into the docs) makes this extremely
troublesome.

We have long supported the notion that this configuration does not
have a Unique Place to be (e.g. - if you use INCLUDE, then there are
at least two possible places).

I should think that doing this requires heading back towards there
being a single unique configuration stream, and over the course of
several versions, deprecating the INCLUDE directive.

I imagine it means we'd want to come up with a representation that has
suitable semantics for being written to, make sure it is reasonably
expressive *without* INCLUDE, and establish a migration path between
the old and new forms.  At some point, the old form can be treated as
vestigal, and be dropped.