On 12/01/2012 11:38 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
On 2012-12-01 17:36:20 +0100, Andres Freund wrote:
On 2012-12-01 17:03:03 +0100, Andres Freund wrote:
Could we possibly allow adding enum values to a type which was just created in
this transaction? That shouldn't be too hard. At least easier than providing
the capability to pre-assign the next N oids...
The attached patch does just that. Its *not* ready yet though, as it
will be apparent for everyone who reads it ;)

To really make that work in a reliable manner we would probably need
an rd_createSubid for typcache entries instead of testing xmin as I have
done here?

Does this actually get you over the problem identified in the comment?:

 * We disallow this in transaction blocks, because we can't cope
 * with enum OID values getting into indexes and then having their
 * defining pg_enum entries go away.

cheers

andrew