On 20.11.2012 21:25, Simon Riggs wrote:
On 19 November 2012 16:25, Robert Haas<robertmh...@gmail.com>  wrote:

Beyond that, I think much of the appeal of the extension feature is
that it dumps as "CREATE EXTENSION hstore;" and nothing more.  That
allows you to migrate a dump between systems with different but
compatible versions of the hstore and have things work as intended.
I'm not opposed to the idea of being able to make extensions without
files on disk work ... but I consider it a niche use case; the
behavior we have right now works well for me and hopefully for others
most of the time.

Distributing software should only happen by files?

So why does Stackbuilder exist on the Windows binary?

Why does yum exist? What's wrong with ftp huh?

Why does CPAN?

I've a feeling this case might be a sensible way forwards, not a niche at all.

I have to join Robert in scratching my head over this. I don't understand what the use case is. Can you explain? I don't understand the comparison with stackbuilder, yum, ftp and CPAN. CPAN seems close to pgxn, but what does that have to do with this patch?

On 20.11.2012 11:08, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> Apparently I'm not the only one doing extensions without anything to
> compile, all SQL:
>
>     http://keithf4.com/extension_tips_3

No doubt about that. I'm sure extensions written in pure SQL or PL/pgSQL are very common. But what does that have to do with this patch?

- Heikki