On 05.12.2012 20:13, Andres Freund wrote:
But I really really would like them to go to a per-database directory
not a per-cluster one. Otherwise the coordination between different
database "owners" inside a cluster will get really hairy. I want to be
able to install different versions of an application into different
databases.

Extension authors should be careful to maintain backwards-compatibility, so that it would be enough to have the latest version installed. If you break compatibility, you probably should rename the extension.

That said, I can understand that in practice you'd want to have different versions installed at the same time, so that you don't need to re-test everything when upgrading an extension, and don't need to trust that the extension author didn't accidentally break backwards-compatibility anyway.

If you really meant "different versions of an application", and not "different versions of an extension", then it seems to me that you're abusing the extension infrastructure for something else. If you have some functions that you consider part of the application, even if those functions might be useful in other applications too, you probably don't want to treat them as an extension.

- Heikki