On 11/20/12 8:02 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:
On 11/20/2012 04:48 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

I don't like to see current hstore in core - It doesn't support
nesting, it doesn't support different datatypes, it is not well
supported by plpgsql

... or by many client libraries, though converting hstore values to json
notation for output usually takes care of that.

The more I look at this, the less comfortable I am moving forward with hand waving this issue away. The obvious but seemingly all troublesome options:

-Store things internally using hstore. This seems to require pulling hstore fully into core, which has this list of issues. Outputting through a JSON filter seems like a lot of overhead. And even if the output concerns are addressed, if there's a problem processing the raw data with PL/pgSQL that would be bad. I didn't think about that at all until Pavel brought it up.

-Go back to a simpler composite type idea for storing this data. It feels wrong to create something that looks a lot like hstore data, but isn't. There's probably subtle display/client/processing issues in there I haven't thought of too.

-Try to store the data in a JSON friendly way in the first place.

That last one seems to lead right to...

I can't help but suspect that hstore will be subsumed by native storage
and indexing of json objects, since these are already widely supported
in KV or document stores. Of course, that requires that we come to some
agreement on how to represent literal scalars for interaction with json,
which hasn't seen much progress.

If this is the Right Way to solve this problem, that's puts a serious snag in doing something useful with Timing Events in he near future. I know better than to try and fight against following the correct path once it's identified. I can't claim any good expertise on client encoding/transfer issues though; that's not a strong area for me.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    g...@2ndquadrant.com   Baltimore, MD