The processing functions have been extended to provide populate_record() and
populate_recordset() functions.The latter in particular could be useful in
decomposing a piece of json representing an array of flat objects (a fairly
common pattern) into a set of Postgres records in a single pass.

So this would allow an 'insert into ... select ... from <unpack-the-JSON>(...)'?

I had been wondering how to do such an insertion efficiently in the context of SPI, but it seems that there is no SPI_copy equiv that would allow a query parse and plan to be avoided.

Is this mechanism likely to be as fast as we can get at the moment in contexts where copy is not feasible?