On 01/23/2013 08:47 AM, Phil Sorber wrote:
On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 1:32 AM, David Fetter <da...@fetter.org> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 01:05:12PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
Hi all

Would a committer be willing to pop some entries in .gitignore for
Windows native build outputs?

*.sln
*.vcproj
*.vcxproj

It'd make life easier when testing Windows changes.
While they're at it, it'd be nice to have tags from ctags (via our
tools or otherwise) get ignored globally, along with cscope.out , as
follows:

tags
/cscope.out

+1 on cscope.out!

There doesn't seem anything postgres-specific about these. Pretty much everything we list is a byproduct of a standard build, not some other tool. "man gitignore" says

   Patterns which a user wants git to ignore in all situations (e.g.,
   backup or temporary files generated by the user’s editor of choice)
   generally go into a file specified by core.excludesfile in the
   user’s ~/.gitconfig.

I would think tags files and cscope.out probably come into that category, although I don't have terribly strong feelings about it.

cheers

andrew