On 24.01.2013 19:44, Simon Riggs wrote:
On 24 January 2013 16:52, Heikki Linnakangas<hlinnakan...@vmware.com>  wrote:
I may be missing something, but it looks like after a "fast" promotion, you
don't request a new checkpoint. So it can take quite a while for the next
checkpoint to be triggered by checkpoint_timeout/segments. That shouldn't be
a problem, but I feel that it'd be prudent to request a new checkpoint
immediately (not necessarily an "immediate" checkpoint, though).

I thought of that and there is a long comment to explain why I didn't.

Two problems:

1) an immediate checkpoint can cause a disk/resource usage spike,
which is definitely not what you need just when a spike of connections
and new SQL hits the system.

It doesn't need to be an "immediate" checkpoint, ie. you don't need to rush through it with checkpoint_completion_target=0. I think you should initiate a regular, slow, checkpoint, right after writing the end-of-recovery record. It can take some time for it to finish, which is ok.

There's no hard correctness reason here for any particular behavior, I just feel that that would make most sense. It seems prudent to initiate a checkpoint right after timeline switch, so that you get a new checkpoint on the new timeline fairly soon - it could take up to checkpoint_timeout otherwise, but there's no terrible rush to finish it ASAP.

- Heikki