From: "Fujii Masao" <masao.fu...@gmail.com>
On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 12:17 AM, MauMau <maumau...@gmail.com> wrote:
Although you said the fix will solve my problem, I don't feel it will. The discussion is about the crash when the standby "re"starts after the primary vacuums and truncates a table. On the other hand, in my case, the standby crashed during failover (not at restart), emitting a message that some WAL
record refers to an "uninitialized" page (not a non-existent page) of an
"index" (not a table).

In addition, fujii_test.sh did not reproduce the mentioned crash on
PostgreSQL 9.1.6.

I'm sorry to cause you trouble, but could you elaborate on how the fix
relates to my case?

Maybe I had not been understanding your problem correctly.
Could you show the self-contained test case which reproduces the problem?
Is the problem still reproducible in REL9_1_STABLE?

As I said before, it's very hard to reproduce the problem. All what I did is to repeat the following sequence:

1. run "pg_ctl stop -mi" against the primary while the applications were performing INSERT/UPDATE/SELECT. 2. run "pg_ctl promote" against the standby of synchronous streaming standby. 3. run pg_basebackup on the stopped (original) primary to create a new standby, and start the new standby.

I did this failover test dozens of times, probably more than a hundred. And I encountered the crash only once.

Although I saw the problem only once, the result is catastrophic. So, I really wish Heiki's patch (in cooperation with Horiguchi-san and you) could fix the issue.

Do you think of anything?

Regards
MauMau